Just as Homer documented the Trojan war, so have I decided to document my own war I have waged against paying full price for anything.
Let's start with my favourite free-money website! Swag Bucks. It's relatively simple, and you can put as much or as little effort into it as you wish.
Step 1: Use my referral link (below) and give them your info. Be honest, and don't worry, I've never received any spam from them. You start out with 30 bucks!
Step 2: Check out the Swagbucks homepage! I highly recommend downloading the toolbar if you use internet explorer, or mozilla firefox. It gives you a nifty, easy way to search and great access to the blog, the homepage and of course - the TSG toolbar! (More on that later). Toolbar:
Step 3: Get your Daily 4! Every day you can get 4 easy swagbucks (SBs).
- If you have the toolbar, as soon as you open your web browser you win 1 SB.
- On the swagbucks homepage, you get 1 SB just for clicking on "Trusted Surveys" on the left.
- On the swagbucks homepage, click on "Daily Polls." You get 1 SB for participating in the daily poll!
- On the swagbucks homepage, click on "NOSO." Just click "skip" through all these offers (unless you're really interested) and you get 1 SB at the end!
Step 4: Win by searching!!! That's right, just use the swagbucks search engine as a replacement for your Googling. You occasionally get rewarded for searching. I average 30 SBs per day from searching. Some days are better than others.
- TIP: I set my homepage to a swagbucks search. That's right. For example, you could set your homepage to something like.... http://search.swagbucks.com/?t=w&p=1&q=Disney which would automatically search "Disney" everytime you open your browser. I win a lot of bucks this way. But Pay Attention - sometimes you have to enter one of those "are you human" codes to claim your prize.
Step 5: CODES!!! TSG usually puts out one or more codes a day. These codes are worth anywhere from 4 - 20 SBs and can be anything. Something else, located in the BLOG, or the TOOLBAR (the little envelope that says "from TSG") or in the SWIDGET (see below).
Some of them are "Hunts" where you have to look through some of the shopping or partner sites for the CODE or for LETTERS that you have to unscramble to come up with a code.
Swagbucks Tricks Blog
There are tons and tons of helpful sites for Swagbucks. My favorite is
Included is the Swidget which will let you know when a code is out.
Also, a chat box so you can ask for help from other Swaggernauts for Codes.
They'll also (usually) send you Email Alerts when there's a code.
And that's all you need to get started! Easy, right?!
What? You want more? Oh, alright... ;-) Let's talk about SPECIAL OFFERS!!!
- Go to the swagbucks homepage. Scroll down to the Special Offers and hover over that yellow tab, and/or click on the "Special Offers" link on the left. I generally run through to find any videos to watch (usually worth 2 or 3 SBs).
- *NEW* All the cool kids are using SwagBucksTV to rack up their points! Just watch videos (through to the end), and randomly you'll win SwagBucks! Be careful - in an attempt to make you actually watch the videos there is often an "Are You Human" code which must be entered within a time limit.
(My solution to this is to shrink the screen, and leave just a sliver visible while I'm working. That way when a SwagBucks win occurs, I can see it and go claim it without interfering with my life.)
- I also look for facebook apps, and anything else that doesn't look like a lot of effort or information.
- If you have a computer you don't use for anything important... (*cough* my lab computer *cough*) download all those stupid games, toolbars, etc.
*NOTE* Take note of how many SBs, and screenshots of this stuff before you delete it in case it doesn't credit. You can always check by clicking on the "Missing Swagbucks?" link.
Also, give a legit email (even if it's some random yahoo account you never use for anything except junk). Sometimes these things require "confirmation"
- FACEBOOK "Like" Swagbucks on facebook. Lots of times codes are posted there. It's also a great way to chat with fellow swaggernauts!
- TWITTER Twitter Tuesdays have the Phrase That Pays! Come up with a clever way to use the phrase The Swag Guy (TSG) posts in the Blog and tweet it!
On Thursdays, there's Twitter Trivia! Tweet the answer first and win!
Isn't that the question? Well, Swagbucks has a Plethora of awesome prizes to redeem your swagbucks for under The Swag Store.
Personally, I redeem mine directly for the $5 Amazon GiftCards. I've found them to be the BEST deal. Most of the prizes I want I can buy "cheaper" from Amazon.
Just be careful when considering some of the other "Gift Cards." Some of them are nothing more than $5 off coupons labeled as gift cards.
Well, that's really it this time. All of these offers I've done so far are legit. Auto insurance quotes, Netflix, Discover (which I highly recommend as a credit card, it gives great rewards and has no monthly fee), etc.
Good luck! I hope this was somewhat helpful. If you need help or want to offer suggestions, leave 'em in the comments!
Tune in next time for another money-saving tip!